Sunday, May 24, 2009

Flying Over the Pits

On Saturday morning, the delegation flew north a couple hundred kilometres to Fort Chipewyan. Built on the Athabasca delta, it is downstream from Fort McMurray and the open pit mines just to the north of city.

This video is a short section of our flight as we took a detour over the two oldest pit mines and processing plants, Suncor and Syncrude. In it, you'll see several tailings ponds (each at different stages in their lives), the plants, an open pit, and huge pyramids of sulphur (a waste product from the process). You'll also get some sense of the scale of the tar sands operation.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for posting this video. I flew over this area in the summer of 2007 with a group of concerned citizens. I video taped much of our flight, but got sick shortly after flying over sucor and syncrude.... Now I know well enough to take flight sickness medication on such flights.

    I didn't take the time to post any video from this part of our flight. It was rather depressing and time consuming, especially given that I was using high-8 video.

    If you'd like copies of this footage, let me know. I can email you a few jpg stills from the flight if you wish. We flew much closer to suncor and syncrude.

    I did edit and post some footage of our flight over the McClelland Lake Fen. If you do a search on you tube, you can find it there, posted as "McClelland Fen Flyover 3rd edit". I tried to post a link to this page but your "comment" site won't allow me to paste it onto this message.

    Best Wishes,
    Rod from Edmonton

    ReplyDelete