Saturday, May 23, 2009

Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones!




On our way to Fort McMurray today we stopped in Athabasca for coffee and the chance to meet with local people involved in a number of justice organizations. We heard from representatives of Keepers of the Athabasca, a group of First Nations, Metis, Inuit, environmental groups, and Watershed citizens working together for the protection of water, land, and air in the Athabasca River Watershed.

I must admit that I was predisposed to like this group because of their name - Keepers of the Athabasca. It reminds me of the hymn line 'Ye watchers and ye holy ones'! I just love the idea of a group of people committed to keeping, or watching over, the river.

The group delivered more than the promise of their name. I was impressed by the knowledgeable and articutate presentation. But was impressed me the most was the passion they had both for the river and surrounds and for the people.

What further moved me was the respect they brought to each other and their varied traditions and religions. It was a great example of how we need to treat each other, even in the midst of tension and controversy. I am glad there are such faithful and committed people watching over the river!

The Rev. Susan Johnson,
National Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada

1 comment:

  1. I join you in rejoicing at meetng those who are passionate, and express it through respect.

    Peace
    Paul Gehrs

    ReplyDelete